It’s been a while, but although I’ve not been updating on here since December, I have been writing regularly. In the last post I mentioned a new, dark antagonist and I’ve now included him as the hidden, supernatural villain in a historical adventure. The working title is Dark Roads and it’s set at the start of the thirteenth century. There is some reference to real characters and places, although this is mainly incidental and used to set the scene.
The new story is already at 43,000 words so it’s well underway and I have a reasonable plotline in synopsis form as to how it should all end. By way of a change I’m running three separate but converging storylines, with sub-plots drifting in and out as needed to keep the whole thing dynamic.
Researching something historical has been really interesting: dialogue, clothes, weapons and even food need verifying more or less constantly. An excellent resource, and an unexpected one was the discovery of Ordnance Survey maps of England, Wales and Scotland, showing, historical names and roads. There is one for Roman Britain and a similar one for Ancient Britain. Amazon has them and they’re reasonably priced too.
Now that we’re more or less under house arrest, I guess there aren’t any excuses for slacking off, so things should move along quite quickly. Every cloud…
For the record, I did finish the Book Without a Story. I’ve put it to one side for a while, but I will return and give it a damn good editting sometime soon.