Almost There

Well (almost) all of the writing has been done.  I’m editing and correcting at the moment, which should take a few days and the ending just needs rounding off neatly.

The major issue at the moment is the title.  Loose Louche simply won’t do so I’m actively considering alternatives. This is actually turning out to be more difficult than writing the actual book; the story just tells itself and all I usually have to do is write it down.  The title has to be worked out and worked up.  I’m reluctant to have something which is too bland, it needs to show that we’re following an adventure in a somewhat surreal world. I’m quite sure I can work out a sub-title easily enough once the main title is sorted.

Then I have to arrange a cover illustration, probably using some of the character illustrations that were shown in the last blog post. I have an idea of what I want to do, I’m just not sure I can pull it off graphically.

Finally, I have to think seriously about marketing.  There’s no point in going to all this trouble if nobody can find the book to read it, so I can see some serious learning curves up ahead.

Getting Close

The word count is now around 78k, I’ve still got quite a bit of story to tell and it looks as though the finished work will run to around 85-90k words.  We now have the final member of the team in place: MG. He’s already proved his worth with a daring rescue. He’s still struggling with the new ‘world’ that he’s suddenly discovered, but I’m sure he’ll be fine.

We’ve had our first serious encounter with the villain (after all this time). it didn’t go well, but there’s still a chance to rectify that situation  I have a feeling that we need a liaison type, contact with the local police. It would certainly simplify things and hopefully set up some interesting conflicts involving LW

Just read some advice that we should really be ‘saving the world’ and that the journey our Main Character undertakes should be global in scale. Can’t say that I’m going to start the whole story over again and go down that route. I’m going to run with this idea and see how it pans out in the end.

Learning Curve

In total I received a dozen critiques from Critters Workshop.  The general consensus seemed to be good. People like the story and the way it’s being told, although the fact I labelled it incorrectly as a short story rather than a novel confused some of the reviewers. I won’t make that mistake again.

I’ve made a point of going through the work, and checking the punctuation and grammar generally and made quite a few corrections as a result.  Also made some slight clarifications to the text. There are a few British/American discrepances that I’ve tried to resolve, but sometimes it’s just not possible.

I stand by my earlier comment that the critticism process is valuable and useful, especially if, like me, you’re starting out. I will repeat with later sections of the work.

Currently running over 66k words. I’ve been careful to add more action, and I feel we are approaching some sort of climax. The newest (and, maybe final) character hasn’t yet made an appearance but I do have a vitally important task for him when he gets here.

The one thing that is still causing me concern is the title. I’m still looking for one.